Geography
Each year, I found myself copying the same old pages of maps and other worksheets for my children. Africa was still Africa and a mountain was still a mountain, just on a different sheet of paper and printed with another cartridge of ink! I began searching for ways to integrate geography for each of them. Also wanted to cut back on printing costs. This is how our "Big Geography Book" was formed!
When you open it up completely, it looks like this...
And it easily folds up to be stored like this...
Each continent has its own pocket which was made with 2 pieces of thick 12x12 card stock, laminated side by side...
Then the sides were stapled to create pockets...
It contains political and physical maps for each continent that were laminated and bound. This way they could practice with dry erase markers again and again, from one year to the next...
Created a cover page for a vocabulary folder, filled with notebook paper and added divide tabs.

A Notes folder was also added...
And worksheets were also created...
Each of these folders were attached to the pockets using velcro dots. This way they could be removed with ease and returned when done...
And there you have it! Our "Big Geography Book"!
Here are a few of the resources we use for practice and projects:
The Wold Reference Maps & Forms By: Jo Ellen Moore
Beginning Geography By: Evan-Moor Publishing
Children's Illustrated World Atlas By: Rand McNally and Company
Africa By: Jo Ellen Moore
Europe By: Jo Ellen Moore
South America By: Jo Ellen Moore
Noth America By: Jo Ellen Moore
Australia By: Jo Ellen Moore
Asia By: Jo Ellen Moore
Websites:
http://www.reachtheworld.org/geogames/Play-GeoGames.htmlhttp://web.mit.edu/~jmcmicha/www/globegenie/
http://geography.mrdonn.org/landforms.html
http://jimspages.com/States.htm
Hope you find this helpful. I will be adding additional links to resources soon!

Wow! This is inspirational! I am forever trying to avoid printing out the same maps each year! What a fabulous concept! And I do so love to laminate! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I'm glad you found us. I share your love for laminating :)
DeleteSo brilliant! Thanks for sharing the idea and pictures.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteI couldn't open the highlighted links. I would like to make one of these for Cycle 3. Mainly just the United States for now, what would I put in it?
ReplyDeleteMelody
mrsmknudson@aol.com
Sorry about the links. I will update them for you.
DeleteLOVE this! Thank you for sharing!! :-)
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely BRILLIANT!! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity!
ReplyDelete