Monday, January 12, 2015

Cells Unit Study: Week 1, Plant Cells



 


Our first science block is off to a great start. My younger girls chose to study cells and this past week, they learned all about plant cells! They watched lots of videos that they found on YouTube and I found an excellent PowerPoint presentation for the introduction of cells over on Biology Junction's cells unit. Great resources to begin building a unit study on cells!


             



Interactive notebooking plays a major role in our learning as we seldom use textbooks in a traditional way. This week, they created notebooking pages for cell parts using a plant cell coloring worksheet. They used the cell interactives on Cells Alive to learn about the plant cell organelles and used that information to complete the notebook.

 

In our house we have Friday Funday. That means we school Monday through Thursday and Friday is for fun learning and life skills. We also play quite a bit. So, along with making homemade pizzas and having a salad bar for lunch, my eldest daughter baked a cake for her younger sisters. I provided the supplies and they used the cake to begin to learn about cake decorating and to also reinforce their lessons on plant cell organelles! Now that's what I call a win, win situation!
 
My daughter used a basic yellow cake recipe that she found over at My Recipes and doubled it. After the cake was removed from the pan and allowed to completely cool, the younger ones began to decorate their cake. They used the Learning Resources plant cell model from our school room and we discussed the function of each organelle that they added. They used toothpics and address labels to label each organelle.

This week, we continue on with our learning about cells and cellular processes. They will discover more about animal cells and cell theory. We will be sure to share our learning experiences and resources with you all later. 

Peace and blessings,
D.T.




2 comments:

  1. Hey D.T. Thanks for sharing your article on the Hip Homeschool Moms Hop. I chose your post as one of my favorites. Love hands-on learning and enjoyed reading how to make botany more interactive! You are featured on our blog today! I look forward to seeing your posts in the future. Be sure to stop by and grab your "I've been Featured" button :-) from today's Hop on www.HipHomeschoolMoms.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read our post. I am excited about the feature. I just told the children and they were so very thrilled. I look forward to participating in the hop and learning from all of the information shared.

      Thanks again :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...