Friday, January 16, 2015

Black History Border


My son, who is taking Honors U.S. History, is nearing his exploration of the Civil Rights Era. As I began to look through our shelves, I found a few primary source posters I wanted to display. As I was hanging them, I began to think about the people that I wanted to be sure he studied. I wanted him to be able to look at the beautiful black faces of those who were so instrumental during the Civil Rights Movement, but why stop there?


The more I thought about it, the more I felt inclined to include more and more black and brown faces from around the globe and throughout history. People who represented much more than the liberation of those of us living in this country. I became more and more excited as I began to collect these images. After a while, I decided that I wanted it to be a permanent display that all four of my children could learn from. So, the idea of creating a boarder utilizing the images came to me and I am so very pleased with it.




The boarder was created using images that I found online. I purchased a beautiful, natural brown cards stock to print the images on. All images were printed in landscape layout and in black and white coloring format. We are nearly finished with the project and very pleased. This will be a great learning tool for us to use for years to come!

Materials Used:
  • Masking tape
  • Photos of individuals that you want to display. I have saved the photos we used as one file. 

Well, that's it for our black history border project. We hope you enjoyed!

Peace,

D.T.


14 comments:

  1. So creative! Great way of building self esteem and cultural awareness in our children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome! So creative. Great way of building self esteem and culture awareness in our children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What size are the phot I s and cardstock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were all printed on 8 1/2 by 11 card stock. I will share the file with you if you like.

      Delete
  4. Wow! This is a brilliant idea! I'm going to do this for my son's room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great!! Hadn't thought to print them on brown paper--brilliant. Will be doing something similar. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you be willing to share your file of tge photos? This a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Keisha. I will upload them to our printables page.

      Delete
  7. Would you be willing to share your file of tge photos? This a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...