Sunday, January 4, 2015

12 Months of Homesteading: Sewing





Greetings Everyone,


This month we are kicking off our 12 Months of Homesteading beginning with sewing. Sewing is an important skill to have for those looking to live sustainable lives. In the past, I often found myself throwing out or discarding perfectly good clothing, simply because a button was missing or because the hem had been torn. That was not that long ago but our family has since began to evaluate our wastefulness and to develop skills to limit our waste and to limit our spending.

As we go through this month, we will also be sharing all of our projects with you and we hope that many of you will join along as we develop our sewing skills throughout this month. To help us all get started, here are some lessons that we will be working on that I hope will be useful to you as well.


Free Sewing Curriculum:
Sewing Buttons and Shanks:

         

Hand Sewing:

        


Using a Sewing Machine:

       
  • Over at Skip to my Lou, you will find printable sheets for kids to practice using a sewing machine.
Well, these are all the basics I'd like to share with you. Again, we will be posting projects for beginners, throughout the week. In our homeschool, we have set aside Friday as our project day. We officially start back with our homeschooling on Monday so we look forward to sharing our projects with you next week. Please, stop by and let us know what projects you guys are working on as well.

Peace,
D.T.



8 comments:

  1. Great resources. Thanks for sharing them.
    I've been working with my girls over the past few years and now my son with join us.
    Looking forward to seeing the project you all are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. My son is joining in as well. I'll try to get a few pics of him to encourage the other young men who are learning. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the links! My 8 yr old daughter wants to learn to sew and I haven't sewn since I was in high school over 20 years ago. I really think it's cool what you are doing. You have gained a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome and thank you for taking the time to join us on this journey. My daughters and I have been learning to sew together these past few years. It's been an amazing journey and I hope you and your daughter enjoy it as much as we have.

      Delete
  3. May you be blessed for this thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome. My mother is a master seamstress and I love seeing them create together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Well you certainly have a great resource at your fingertips!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...