This month we are kicking off our 12 Months of Homesteading beginning with sewing. Sewing is an important skill to have for those looking to live sustainable lives. In the past, I often found myself throwing out or discarding perfectly good clothing, simply because a button was missing or because the hem had been torn. That was not that long ago but our family has since began to evaluate our wastefulness and to develop skills to limit our waste and to limit our spending.
As we go through this month, we will also be sharing all of our projects with you and we hope that many of you will join along as we develop our sewing skills throughout this month. To help us all get started, here are some lessons that we will be working on that I hope will be useful to you as well.
Free Sewing Curriculum:
- Learning Zone Express: See-n-Sew: Great beginning sewing workbook that is free.
- Learning Zone Express: Sew Cool
- Learning Zone Express: Sew Green: Repurpose, Recycle, and Restyle
- Learning Zone Express: Sew Thrifty
Using a Sewing Machine:
- Over at Skip to my Lou, you will find printable sheets for kids to practice using a sewing machine.