Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Homeschooling, It's Not All About Academics

Somehow I managed to injure my right pointer finger this weekend.  I tried to take care of it on my own Sunday, but by Monday morning the pain and swelling was excruciating.  A visit to the urgent care was needed.

So I packed my three girls up early yesterday morning and arrived at the urgent care before they opened at eight.  They sat quietly in the waiting room with me.  When it was our turn to see the doctor, they accompanied me back to the room.  The whole while, strangers were commenting about how polite, mannerable, and well behaved they were.  When the doctor or nurses found out they were home schooled, they would reply with "No wonder they're so well behaved.

We concluded our visit with me driving home in more pain than before, however I was supplied with antibiotics and pain meds to take at home.  I was anxious to start both as soon as we arrive home.  I told the girls that I knew it was supposed to be a school day but mommy wouldn't be able to help much today.  I spent the day dozing in and out on the sofa, being cared for by my sweet girls.

The girls prepared a hot lunch for everyone.  They brought food to me and picked up the plates afterwards.  They also made sure I had bottles of water to drink. But what really astonished me was that they even managed to get their studies for the day done on their own.  They worked together and took turns on the computers without arguing.  They were so proud of themselves and they couldn't wait to show me all the things they had checked off of their weekly work list.

I told them how happy I was with the responsibility and care they they each had shown.  I have always talked with the children about the importance of academics and the acquisition of knowledge.  We also stressed life skills and on yesterday, it was the life skills they had learned that carried them in their independent studies and also enabled them to be so helpful to me.  These skills will allow them to be successful and productive members of society.

Proudly speaking,
Dorcus

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...